Nybrogatan 32, Stockholm
Kategori: Konsthistoria, Arkitektur
SOVIET CINEMA AND RUSSIAN THEATRE (2). ROSSEV, A. Soviet Cinema. Moscow (Voks) 1935.
4to (260x190 mm.). 312, (14) pp. Text in English. Design and photomontage by Varvara Fyodorovna Stepanova and Alexander Rodchenko. Upper cover with a few small losses to the design, the celluloid of Stalin with a tear and 2 repairs (this sheet is often damaged), page with Lenin with small tear.
Original red boards, cloth binding with part of the original dust jacket glued to the boards, cloth spine with printed title (dustwrapper worn and with creases, lacking one corner, binding rubbed). Some spotting to first pages, some soiling, a few minor tears to margins.
First edition of this rare propaganda publication with a special cut-out of Lenin by Rodchenko, with texts by Stalin. With a fold-out page with cut-out of a Russian cinema audience, designed by Rodchenko, with a recess at the location of the film screen where Lenin's face is visible.
The book describes the history of Russian film, and 15 years of Russian cinematography. Besides texts by Stalin, it contains biographies and portraits of prominent filmmakers (Eisenstein, Kuleshov, Barnet, Trauberg, Kozintsev, Vertov, and others) and statements about Russian film (including some by Cecil B. DeMille).
Kamerni Teatr i ygo Kudozniki 1914-1934 [The Artists of the Kamerni Theatre]. Introduction by Abram Efros. Moscow (Edition of the All-Russian Theatrical Society) 1934.
Large 4to (c. 305x220 mm). XLVII, (1), 211, (1) pp. Text in Russian. Half title, title printed in red and black. Richly illustrated with 202 plates, mostly black and white, a few coloured (according to plate list, there was no plate 36). Introduction by Abraham Efros. Each production is introduced by a half-page tissue-guard with printed title in red.
Original grey cloth boards with the emblem of the theatre in the middle (partly soiled and worn, spine faded and with some spotting, probably lacking dustjacket). A few colour plates loose in the middle, small stain to lower margin on pages 165-82.
First edition. Compiler M. Zelikson. Illustrated by avant-garde artists, such as Vesnin, Goncharova, Larinov, Stenberg brothers a.o.
The Kamerny (Kamerni teatr) Theatre was a chamber theatre in Moscow, founded in 1914 by director Alexander Tairov (1885-1950). Over the next 35 years, this small, intimate theater became "recognized as a major force in Russian theater". Tairov's primary collaborator in building the sets was Aleksandra Ekster, and these were based upon the period's constructivist style. The decor for the theatre was designed by Konstantin Medunetsky. In 1946 the Soviet communist party "condemned all formalism and experimentation in literature and the arts" and the Kamerny was closed in 1949 as a result of the Zhdanov Doctrine. (Wikipedia).